The Malvern House Certificate is a three month intensive business course which is designed to introduce students to the basics of business practice. The Certificate provides students with an awareness of the theories of business activity and the nature and functions of organisations within it.
The course is made up of the following components:
- Introduction to Business (21 lessons): Students will gain an understanding of business environments, structures and the purpose of business activity. Practical business problems will be addressed through the application of business theory.
- Introduction to Business Communication (9 lessons): Students will be introduced to the key factors in successful business communication. Topics covered include basic negotiation skills and business correspondence.
- Introduction to Accountancy (5 lessons): Students will acquire basic knowledge of accountancy. The financial aspects of companies will be addressed and students will be prepared to progress onto more complex accountancy courses.
- Introduction to Quantitative Methods (3 lessons): This module will introduce numeracy, basic calculations and algebra. Students will also be taught to present information in graphical form and to analyse statistical data.
In order to enrol in the Malvern House Certificate programme, you must have at least an upper intermediate level of English and pass the Malvern House Certificate entrance test. Please note that the course is not designed to improve your English language level.
You will need to purchase a Business Certificate Workbook at the beginning of term.
A student's overall grade is made up of the following components:
- Student participation (33%): The student is assessed on their participation in the class over the length of the course. The student's participation in class and small group discussion is therefore very important. Specific attention is paid to 'set piece' activities, including:
- 3 meeting simulations based on topics from 'introduction to business'
- 3 case studies from various sections of the course
- Group work for one of the coursework assignments.
- Coursework (33%): Students will be given six assignments during the course, five of which will count towards their final grade.
- Certificate Examination (33%): Students will take four exams (one for each topic covered) in the final week of the course. The exams are marked by the Certificate Teacher and checked by another member of the Academic Staff.
Students who have successfully passed the course will be issued a Malvern House Certificate.